My feminist rants drive all the boys from the yard.
Get off my land you little shits.
My feminist rants bring all the boys to the yard
'Not aaaaaaaaaaall men'.
Because love, real love, is not so easily shed. - Junot Diaz, The Cheater’s Guide to Love
This is a perfect short story.
So I’ve been slacking off pretty hard on this non-profit that I’m involved with. I love the organization but the last thing I want to do after billing infinity hours is send more emails, and I also tend to get paralyzed when I’m confronted with a lot of tasks and my brain can’t prioritize and then people are gently reminding me to do things and then not-so-gently reminding me to do things and then AVOID AVOID AVOID. Avoid everything.
Turns out, all I needed to get myself in gear with the one thing was to be presented with another opportunity. An organization I admire and that does exactly the kind of work I’m interested in is looking to build their Board of Directors, but, in true me fashion, I told myself I could only apply if I got my other shit under control this weekend.
And, unlike the endless lists I tried to use to organize and motivate myself in school, this bizarre ultimatum actually sort of worked? I sent like 30 emails for the first thing and wrote new website copy and a one-sheet and updated our handbook and even remembered to change my location in my email signature from Cambridge to DC instead of manually doing it every fucking time because, hi, I’m not really an adult.
So I guess the moral of this story is that we all should do that One Thing We Don’t Really Want to Do. Or at least I should, if I don’t want to feel guilt and anxiety every time I look at one of my inboxes. And, fingers cross, I’ll be able to get involved with this other thing, too, which would kind of be a dream come true for me.
Life. It’s happening.
1. Because a woman brought into this world will inevitably be given pepper spray “just in case.”
2. Because by sixteen, a young girl knows how to avoid being sexually assaulted, while a boy of the same age does not fear sexual assault in the slightest.
3. Because a girl who mocks men is a bitch, and a boy who mocks women is joking.
4. Because a girl who has sex is a slut, and a boy who has sex is a man.
5. Because in a murder, the killer is at fault, but the blame of rape is often put on the victim.
6. Because we teach girls how not to get raped instead of teaching anyone simply not to rape.
7. Because a woman should put more clothes on if her outfit makes a man uncomfortable, because his self control is her responsibility.
8. Because feminists just need to chill out.
9. Because a 22 year old sex-obsessed virgin can murder 7 people, and the problem is that someone should’ve just slept with him.
10. Because not all men are predators, but yes, all women are prey.
There’s a fucking womanifesto for you."